The mission of the Social Studies Department at Stephens County High School is to prepare our students to be responsible, productive citizens with the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world.
The world is changing with trends such as:
- new information can be produced and gathered with increasing speed;
- economic interdependence is global, accelerated by new technologies;
- having several different occupations during one's lifetime;
- increased mobility in where you live, work and recreate;
- the tension between increased multiculturalism and nationalism;
- occupations requiring more integration of skills and knowledge from various disciplines
- technology and information as a basis of wealth and power:
- new personal pressures and social conflicts different from those faced in the past.
We must prepare our students to understand and be able to adapt to these trends and others, which will occur during their lifetime.
Students will acquire the basic knowledge of the social sciences in order to understand and respect the interrelationships of human events, behaviors, beliefs and accomplishments of the past and present (facts, concepts and generalizations).
The Social Studies Department will increase the overall pass rate of SCHS students on the GHSGT in Social Studies by 3% in 2013. In U.S. History and Economics the meets and exceeds EOCT pass rate will increase by 3% in 2013. U.S. History and Economics will continue to be ranked in the top 3 schools in our Pioneer RESA in passing EOCT scores.
Personal Department Goal:
Students will acquire knowledge of their role in today’s world and their place in the world of the 21st century. In addition, students will gain skill in critical thinking, problem solving, research, and communication.
The SCHS Social Studies Department will provide opportunity for all students to become productive citizens with the necessary skills for life-long learning. Critical thinking and research skills will be vital in the future to sort out needed knowledge, then apply it to make rational decisions for your own life and for the common good of society. Social Studies courses will be taught in a meaningful, integrative, and challenging way. The goals of the SCHS Social Studies Department will be measured through a variety of tools that include but are not limited to benchmark assessments, EOCT scores, GHSGT scores, course pass rates, unit plans, and common pacing and curriculum guides.